Mmm, is someone baking cookies?

Ruins of the Wrocław Bishops' Castle in Ujazd

Plac Zamkowy, Ujazd

  • Monuments & Culture
  • Ruins
  • Castles

Remains of a bishops' seat

The ruined castle of the Wrocław bishops towers over Ujazd in the Strzelce district. The building was raised in the middle of the 13th century as a residence of the bishops of Wrocław, and its present shape is what survives of a 19th-century remodelling into a palatial residence. The outer walls, fragments of vaulting and the outline of the courtyard remain.

The castle's fortunes

In the 14th century it was extended in the Gothic style, and in the 16th turned into a Renaissance residence. In 1443 Duke Bolko V of Opole bought it from Bishop Konrad of Oleśnica, after which it passed through a succession of noble families. The last owners were the princely Hohenlohe family, who acquired the Ujazd estate in 1837-1838 and gave the building the character of a palace. On 23 January 1945, as the Red Army entered Ujazd, the castle burned down.

Today

In 2015 the ruins were secured against further decay and a viewing terrace was arranged on the upper floor. From there one looks out over what is left of the complex and over the surrounding hills and greenery. Walking the grounds takes half an hour.

  • Viewing terrace on the upper floor of the ruins
  • Parking near Plac Zamkowy
  • Green grounds around the castle
Cost: Free admission Visit duration: approx. 30 min Seasonality: All year round

Udogodnienia - atrakcje

  • Zwierzęta mile widziane