Mmm, is someone baking cookies?

Castle in Płakowice

ul. Pałacowa 4, Lwówek Śląski

  • Monuments & Culture
  • Castles

A Renaissance Seat in a District of Lwówek Śląski

The castle in Płakowice stands in the northern part of Lwówek Śląski, in what was once a separate village later absorbed by the town. It was built around 1563 for Rumpold Talkenberg of Podskale and is considered one of the largest Renaissance fortified residences in Silesia. The quadrangular layout with an arcaded courtyard combines living and defensive functions.

History

The property changed hands repeatedly — among its owners were the von Schaffgotsch family and August Ludwig von Nostitz-Rieneck. In 1824 it was taken over by the Legnica regency, which turned it into a psychiatric hospital operating until 1945. After the war the walls housed a military unit and a children's home. Since 1992 the site has belonged to a Baptist Church centre, which carries out renovation work.

Good to Know

Visiting is limited to the courtyard — the rooms used by the owner are not open to tourists. A stop is therefore short and comes down to viewing the massing, the portal and the arcades. Lwówek Śląski, with its market square and town hall, lies a few minutes away.

Cost: Free admission Visit duration: approx. 20 minutes Seasonality: Open all year; courtyard only